Friday, January 14, 2011

Percentages for Dummies

The Christmas season left us well rested, well fed and well loved. I still can’t wrap my mind around the fact that it is 2011 and my baby boy will be 3 in 3 days. He has asked for a birthday tree and a chocolate crocodile cake. I don’t know where he comes up with this stuff but I am willing to give it a shot. Thanks to the post holiday sales I was able to snag a $5 white “birthday” tree and I will have to wing the cake.

Being a currently fundraising future missionary, we have been doing a lot of measuring our progress by percentages. For instance: our mission is 40% funded for our monthly expenses and 100% funded for our transitional expenses …yada yada yada. The problem is that now my mind has been measuring daily life by percentages.

Heres what I mean:


100%- the amount I miss living near my friends and family…enough said

99.5%- The percentage I am sure my sister in law gave Quinn a VTech keyboard and DJ station for Christmas because she knew we would slowly be driven mad. It comes complete with a microphone (that is not actually sung into but inserted into his gob). There is also a way to record your singing and play it to a variety of musical genres including hip-hop, techno and reggae… over and over and over… . Let me try to explain what that sounds like. Get yourself a boiled egg. Now stick it in your mouth…that’s right…all the way in. Now, sing “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” as loud as you possibly can…now get yourself a fresh beat for background music....you got it! Thanks Melinda.

99.4%- Chance Quinn has of never becoming the next American Idol…but it could be much higher

76.9%- Percentage of possessions that Andy sold last summer that I actually know about. I should just be grateful I still have Quinn and both my kidneys.

33%- Percentage of necessary information given by Andy when he is explaining plans he has made for us. Yeah, he never quite gets why I don’t understand what is going on. It must have sounded better in his head.

8.4%- The amount of understanding Quinn has of the true meaning of Christmas. I asked who’s birthday was on Christmas. He said " Cheesus baby”.

2%- The chance I have to be the cool mom among Quinn’s friends. Since we became parents a bit later in life, I expect to hear when picking him up from activities “Hey, Quinn, your grandma is here!” This is also the percentage of excitement I have for turning 41 in a couple of weeks.

.03%- the amount of interest Quinn has in potty training…waaaaaa!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Add 100% loved and missed by your Idaho buddies.

    Now, as for the "grandma" comment...puhleez. You just put that silliness right out of your head! And here is why: The true fountain of youth (and it's not a fountain at all!) is simply not acting your age, and you, my friend, have that perfectly covered (LOL...that's a compliment btw!).

    I love you and miss you all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure you have two kidneys? Really, really?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, That was Lyssa, by the way. I'm signed in under our work google account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you Maple...thats a fancy name...I think I want pancakes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was gonna get freaked out because Maple wrote what i was going to write and then i notice that it is because Maple is one of my sister's personalities. phew. and kel's right, u r so not the grandma/mom type! u r the rockin, artsy mom type that all the kids r gonna love coming over to have snack time with. just whip out some of your olive penguins and they will b your slaves forever! we %110 miss u 2!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in 100% agreement on the missing you like mad. I also absolutely love the singing description. I can relate to the singing, remember Chug Chug a lee haw? At least he has a love for song, maybe he will be a record producer or something. Love and miss you lots! BTW sent a card for Quinny, but late as usual.

    ReplyDelete